Thursday 23 February 2012

Impromptu interview with a bullie owner 2

Tonight I spotted another pit bull. He was small frame, coloured what would be termed a "red nose". The owner was with a group, in Tottenham. He saw me looking and leered at me to come over "y'alright love?" kinda thing.

I went over and said, cheerfully, "I was looking at your dog! I LOVE staffies" and caught his reaction- I think he said something like "yeah he's a mix" I told him, making sure people weren't near, that I was a pit bull enthusiast. I explained about the situation in America, particularly Ohio's legalisation of them, and how I want them legalised here, as I think it's causing them more harm to be illegal. He looked a little unnerved, and just said "yeah... they've taken one away from me already. And killed him." I said "...so you got another?" He was defensive and said "He's a staff he's definitely a staff look at 'im!" I said "of course of course what's a 'pit bull' anyway? But if they measure him he'll might be unlucky. And I don't think its fair on the dogs, do you?" He agreed. I asked where he had got the dog from- he said his mate had been breeding them and he had him from a pup.

I asked if he had come into contact with dog fighting- he was a bit quick to answer no but it might have been genuine. I asked to meet the dog and he took me over, the dog was shy, had a tennis ball in his mouth but didn't really want to come over. The guy said he was friendly but he didn't like to be stroked. I noticed some scars on the dogs head. 

I quietly asked if he was aware of the UK kill rate, and told the rough numbers. He was very surprised. I told him it was mostly bully breeds and it's a big problem. He agreed he didn't think that many would be killed today. 

I thanked him nicely and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment