Wednesday 15 February 2012

Impromptu interview with a bullie owner

I spotted a pibble type dog at the train station today, and got the courage to chat to the owner. 

He was a nice young guy, as was his dog! I asked what breed he was- staffy cross....? He answered slightly sheepishly that he was half staffy, half pit bull. I asked if he knew they were illegal, he said yeah... sorta... I told him not to worry about talking to me about it 'cause I'm working on getting pit bulls legalised, as they shouldn't suffer for their bad owner's irresponsibility, and he added "yeah it's bad owners, not bad dogs." I added that the dog's legs were likely too short to count, and he relaxed a bit.


I asked how the dog was as a pet, he said he was totally lovely, he'd had him from 6 weeks old. I asked where he had got him from, and he replied that he had bought him off a mate, who was breeding them.

I asked the man if he had come into contact with any dog fighting, he said no, but... he knew of some people who did it, but didn't associate with them at all. I asked what he thought of dog fighting and he said "evil."

I asked if he was aware that around 25 dogs a day are put down because they can't find homes, most of them staffy and bull types, and he looked very surprised, said he didn't know that. I asked him, please don't breed from your dog, he said he wouldn't....

He got on the train with me but we didn't chat again, however when he got off the train he looked back and gave me a wave goodbye.

Think I'll be interviewing more owners! Is a good source of information straight from the heart of the situation.

-x-


This doggie looks like the doggie I met, but isn't :)

No comments:

Post a Comment